Tuesday, November 18, 2014

I Funny- Title Meaning CONTAINS SPOILER 11/17/14


Blog for week of: November 17, 2014


Writing Prompt- What is the title of what you are reading? How does it fit the story? If you
don’t know yet how it fits the story, what is your best guess?

Pages Read- beginning - end

          I have read a book called I Funny. This book is about a young boy in wheelchair who competes in the funniest kid comic contest. He is one of the winners in the first round and now gets to go onto the seconds round. His brother (technically cousin) starts a rumor that the only reason he won was because he is in a wheelchair. After that people start making fun of him and saying that he shouldn't have won and the only reason he did was because he is disabled.He then goes to the final round and then wins (now that I think about it I realize this is a big spoiler to the end).

          The main character in the book is named Jamie. Jamie often helps out his uncle at his café. When Jamie works the cash register at the café he tells jokes to the people that come up. There is one man who comes to the café often and he is German. Since this costumer is German and because he comes to the café often, Jamie tells him jokes from a certain German comedian. This man is obviously not fluent in English so instead of saying "You are funny" he says "You funny". Then Jamie starts saying "I funny" instead of "I am funny". I believe this is the cause of the title.

          All of the books in the are titled with the words I funny. Once there is a new book they add a word in the middle of I and Funny. For example, the second book is I Even Funnier and the word 'even' is added in with what I call a carrot. There is a part in the book where he is imagining himself in his school cafeteria while everybody is cheering for him and congratulating him and it's like they are have a party. He also imagines that the cafeteria workers have baked a cake for him and written on the cake is the words I funny. While you are reading and once you have read the book I Funny you realize that those words come up many times in the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment