Wednesday, May 13, 2015

OMAM Blog - Analyze Ending - 3-11-15

Writing prompts:
1. Analyze the ending of the book versus the ending of the movie (Section 3)

2. What are your general thoughts, feelings, reactions of Of Mice and Men? What had the most profound impact on you or your understanding of the novella? Who would you recommend this book to and why? (Section 4)

         The flashback at the end of the movie shows George and Lennie walking away towards the sunset. This flashback leaves the audience with a sad feeling at the end of the movie. The reason it is a sad feeling is becuase it is the last time you see George and Lennie together, after Lennie gets shot. Also, the flashback is accompanied by sad, slow music, which adds to the feeling.

          At the end of the book the reader is sad, but the feeling is kind of taken away by the lines that came at the very end of the book. In the book, the reader feels less sorrowful then at the end of the movie.

          I think the director chose a different ending then what's in the book becuase you get stronger feeling with the way the movie ended, then how the book ended. In the movie it ends in a happy memory, and in the book it ends with all the men of the ranch gathered around Lennie at the brush. I think the director wanted the audience of the movie to have a stronger feeling and you get to see more of the sadness that Gorge felt, and it makes you feel extreme sadness as well. I feel that if the movie ended the way the book did, it wouldn't be as good. It is nice to change some things os it is  not exactly what the book is. Also, having an alternate ending might make a person want to read the book and see what that is like, and see how it is the same or different and how it makes them feel.

          The line of dialogue that ends the book is, "'Now what the hell ya suppose is eatin' them to guys?'" This line of dialogue tells the reader that the speaker does not know what has happened and that he does not know the importance of the situation. This line leaves the reader with a feeling of confusion and wonder. It leaves them with confusion because Carlson (the one saying the line) obviously doesn't know the seriousness of what has just happened. It leaves the reader with wonder becuase they don't know why he is saying that like he doesn't know whats going on, so the reader wants to know more about the situation, and how the people feel.

          I personally really enjoyed the book. I am not the type of person who reads a book more than once, so I would read this book again. If I was that type of person, then I would definitely read this book again. I can say that this is once of my favorite books and I would defiantly recommend other people to read it. I don't have a specific person or group of people that I would recommend this book to, but even if I did, I just think everyone should read this book and be familiar with George, Lennie, and the rest of the guys. The part where Curley's wife is being absolutely terrible to Crooks, is what had the most profound impact on me. There is no specific part that had a big impact on my understanding of the novella. It was all of it, really.


Commented on: EvieJames, and Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment