Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Morrie's aphorisms - Final Project

Aphorism: "Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else." (pg 40)

          When this aphorism was stated, Mitch says he is complaining about what is expected from him versus what he wants for himself. Morrie then tells Mitch about the tension of opposites, and how life is a series of pulls back and forth. An example that Morrie gives is, "You take certain things for granted, even though you know you should never take anything for granted." This aphorism is saying that there will be times where you know you should so one thing, but something else happens out of your control.

          I can relate this aphorism to almost everyone, because we all take things for granted even though we shouldn't. My cousin knows she shouldn't take things for granted, yet she takes for granted that she has two extremely loving parents, and two amazing grandparents who are always there to help her. My grandmother knows she shouldn't take things for granted, yet she takes for granted that she has a beautiful home with air-conditioning. Even I know not to take things for granted, and yet I take almost everything for granted. As Morrie says, "You take certain things for granted, even though you know you should never take anything for granted."

          I agree with this aphorism. I believe that it is true that life is a series of backs and forth. How life has a way making you feel one way, even though you know you shouldn't feel that way. I know this aphorism to be true because I have witnessed it in myself and in others around me. When Morrie is telling Mitch this aphorism, he give the example, "Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't." I know many people who would agree with this example, and agree with this aphorism.

Graphic for aphorism:



I think this graphic captures Morrie's aphorism because it shows a person who is reaching out for the thing they want to do, but they are bound to do something else, and therefore can't get to the thing they want to do.

My aphorism: Life is to short to wait to long. 

In other words my aphorisms is saying: if you want to do something, then do it. Don't wait a lifetime to accomplish a goal you've had for a really long time, or a goal you really want to accomplish. Don't make excuses for why you weren't able to do what you wanted to do. Instead do what you can do as soon as you can do it, and don't wait too long or else it will be to late and you will keep regretting what you didn't do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment