Friday, January 9, 2015

The first time I... 1/5/15

Blog for week of January 5, 2014

Writing Prompt: When was the last time you did something new for the first time?

          About four weeks ago I learned to to play "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals on the guitar. "House of the Rising Sun" was a song that I had been obsessed with at that time. I am not as obsessed with it now but I defiantly still love it. It was the end of my guitar lesson and I had brought it up to my guitar teacher that I was starting to like that song. When I told him he asked if I wanted to learn how to pay it. I was thinking that we were going to wait until our next lesson. My mom hadn't arrived to pick me up yet so he quickly wrote down the chords and taught me how to play them correctly so they matched the song.

          When I told my guitar teacher that I knew and liked the song he was a little shocked. The reason he was this way is because he thought that I would consider that song "one of my mom's slow jams" or an "old people song". He thought this because this is what I call all of my mom's music. I call it that because I believe that all her music is slow and boring. Most of it anyway. Even though he was a bit surprised he was happy to help me learn and pay it like a pro!

          I am glad that I now know how to play a song that I enjoy. Of course this isn't the first song I've learned to play, but it is one of the few songs I actually have fun and enjoy playing. Being a person who has played guitar for almost four years I feel like it would be silly not to learn a song that I enjoy so much. Believe it or not that song is actually not that hard to play...for me anyway.


1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you have been playing the guitar for over four years! I'm curious about your picture...how does it relate to your entry?

    ReplyDelete