Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Looking for Alaska 2-26-15

Blog for week of February 23, 2015

Writing Prompt: 1.What does this book remind you of? 2. Is the setting described well enough that you can put a picture in your mind? Why or why not?

Pages read: 56 - 147

          The book Looking for Alaska makes me think of I TV show I used to watch called "Zoey 101." The reason this book reminds me of that is because "Zoey 101" is a TV show that takes place at a boarding school just like the book does. Another reason why this book reminds me of "Zoey 101" is because the TV show is about a girl who goes to a boarding school that used to be only boys and how she makes friends and deals with different problems that she is faced with. Looking for Alaska is pretty much the same way. A difference is: Looking for Alaska follows a boy named Miles instead of a girl named Zoey.

          I feel like the setting is described very well but for some reason I can not always picture the scene in my head. There are many words and sentences that can help a person create an image of the setting or scene. I know that this takes place at a boarding school and author explains the shape of the buildings a few times but when it says something that describes the dorm room as being round I feel like if it were just a little more specific I could capture it perfectly.

          Having to do with the setting, there are some things that I can picture pretty easily. For example, when the book talks about the TV room and the way it looked. That part of the story was very specific and gave me a great image that helped me better understand the story by telling me the conditions of the place.



Commented on: Evie, Devin, Omar

3 comments:

  1. I think that you did a good job on your blog this week. I also used to watch Zoey 101, so I know what you are referring to. The only thing that I noticed was that you put that Zoey used to go to a school with all boys; I think you meant to put girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca - Great start! Try and give more specific examples in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Including textual evidence from your novel.

      Delete